KIDS Q RULES
The Los Fresnos Cowboy Cook-Off presents the
2022 KIDS Q
- This event will challenge the next generation of BBQ competitors to practice and refine their BBQ talent.
- Each team will consist of no more than 1 (one) individual & one supervisor over 18 years of age. Teams will compete by age in one of the two age divisions, 6-11 and 12-16.
- Limit of 10 (ten) teams for each division and the first ten to submit registration and payment on each division will be allowed to compete. (Registration and check can mailed, done on-line or in person on day of event)
- An adult (at least 18 yrs. old) must accompany the children, but the children will have to do all of the preparation, seasoning & cooking on their own.
- Each team will be provided with a BBQ Charcoal Grill, Charcoal and Meat for that division, one Kids Q T-shirt and Competition Space.
- Judging Criteria - Presentation, Taste, & Texture
- Awards in each age division:
4th - Ribbons
Rules and Regulations
- No motorized vehicles will be allowed in the Kids Q competition area.
- Competitors will be required to attend the Cook’s meeting at 8:00 am at the Lions Hall at the Rodeo Grounds on Saturday, September 17, 2022.
- Entry fee to participate in the Kids Q is $25.00 per team.
- Each participating team will receive 1 (one) 9”x9” Styrofoam judging container for turn-in of entries at the cooks meeting on Saturday 17th.
- An adult over the age of 18 must be present on-site at all times – from set up to tear down for each participating team. Any team not under adult supervision will be disqualified.
- All BBQ Grills will be lit by a Kids Q Official only
- Teams MUST use provided Grills and Charcoal. Ingredients such as seasonings, rubs, etc are the responsibIlity of the Teams. Each MUST use the provided meat for the appropriate age division.
- Teams will turn-in at least ______ pieces of their cooked entry, using the provided numbered Styrofoam judging container. Entry must fit in the 9”x9” provided Styrofoam container.
- Each team will be assigned a cooking space and is asked to keep their equipment (i.e.Grill, chairs, ice chest, BBQ equipment or EZ up Canopy within their designated area.
- Teams must clean, prepare, and cook their entry at their assigned cooking site and meat must be held on ice at a temperature of 40 degrees or less prior to cooking. Meat must be held in its own separate cooler.
- Team participants must do all preparations, seasoning and cooking of their entry. The supervising adult may only assist in the sectioning of the any meat and any emergency dealings with the lit or hot BBQ pits. Adult participation outside of these boundaries will cause the entire team to be disqualified.
- The official turn in time will be ________ pm. No late entries will be accepted.
- Teams must hold their cooked items at a temperature of 140 degrees (f) or higher until turn in.
- Each team must turn in a minimum of ________ pieces of their cooked entry in the numbered container. Only the entry meat is allowed in the turn in box.
- The judging for this event will be in accordance with Champions Barbecue Alliance judging procedures to ensure the integrity of the event. All decisions by the “Judges” are final. Plague Awards will be presented from 1st – 3rd places and ribbons for the rest in each age division during the Los Fresnos Cowboy Cook-Off awards ceremony, Saturday September 17, 2022 beginning at _______ pm.
- Judging scores will be tabulated in accordance with CBA Judging Procedures on Appearance, Taste & Tenderness.
- Each team is responsible for the clean-up of their assigned cooking area, grey water disposal, trash and hot ash disposal in designated containers placed within the Kids Q area.
- Failure to follow any of these rules will cause for disqualification of the team.
- Each team is expected to HAVE A GREAT TIME!